Dr. Christina Isabelli (PhD, University of Texas-Austin)
is Professor and Chair of the Department of Hispanic
Studies at Illinois Wesleyan University where she teaches
courses on topics such as Second Language Acquisition,
History of the Spanish Language, Spanish Linguistics, and
Spanish in the United States. Christina’s latest published
work appears in Foreign Language Annals and Hispanic
Health Care International. She is a book and manuscript
reviewer for Foreign Language Annals, The Modern Language
Journal, Spanish in Context, System, Journal of
Multilingual and Multicultural Development and EUROSLA
Yearbook. Dr. Isabelli recently served as principal
investigator for a US Census Bureau-funded investigation
on observing census enumeration of non-English-speaking
households in 2010 census and has taught applied
linguistics courses since 2010 in Middlebury College's
graduate summer program in Vermont. Her research interests
relate to sociolinguistic issues regarding Hispanics in
the US as well as second language acquisition in various
learning contexts, identifying processes of forming social
networks abroad and how they function as contexts for
present Chair, Department of Hispanic Studies,
Illinois Wesleyan University
2011 – present
Language Program Coordinator, Department of Hispanic
Resident Director of the IWU
London semester abroad program
Spring Resident Director
of the IWU
Spain semester abroad program
- Lord, G., &
Isabelli-García, C. (2014). Program articulation and
management. In M. Lacorte (Ed.). The
handbook of Hispanic applied linguistics (pp.
150-167). London: Routledge.
C., Pan, Y., & Lubkemann, S. (2012). Observing
census enumeration of non-English-speaking
households in 2010 U.S. Census: Spanish report.
Research and Methodology Directorate, Center for
Survey Measurement Research Report Series (Survey
Methodology #2012-06). U.S. Census Bureau. <http://www.census.gov/srd/papers/pdf/rsm2012-06.pdf>
- Hartweg, D.,
Isabelli-García, C., McEwen, M., & Piper, R.
(2012). Physical activity and its relationship to
health: Perceptions of Mexican immigrant women in
the US-Mexico border region. Hispanic Health Care
International, 10(3), 127-136.
C., & Slough, R. (2012). Acquisition of the
non-generic definite article by Spanish learners of
English as a foreign language. Onomázein, 25, 95-105.
C. (2010). Acquisition of Spanish gender agreement
in two learning contexts: Study abroad and at home.
Foreign Language Annals, 43(2), 289-303.
- Echeverría, M.,
Irizarry, G., & Isabelli-García, C. (2009).
Second-Year Spanish II - Oral Expression, Reading
and Composition: A Study Guide. (120 pp). Austin,
TX: The University of Texas at Austin - University
- Hartweg, D.,
& Isabelli-García, C. (2007). Health perceptions
of low-income, immigrant Spanish-speaking Latinas in
the United States. Hispanic Healthcare
International, 5(2), 7-17.
C. (2006). Study abroad social networks, motivation
and attitudes: Implications for second language
acquisition. In E. Churchill & M. DuFon
(Eds.), Language learners in study abroad contexts
Clevedon, UK: Multilingual Matters.
- Zeiss, E., &
Isabelli-García, C. (2005). The benefits of
asynchronous computer mediated communication in
enhancing cultural acquisition. Computer Assisted
Language Learning, 18(3), 151-169.
C. (2004). A case study of the factors in the
development of Spanish linguistic accuracy and oral
communication skills: Motivation and extended
interaction in the study abroad context. Preface
Barbara Freed. New York, NY: Edwin Mellen Press.
C. (2003). Development of oral communication skills
abroad. Frontiers: The Interdisciplinary Journal of
Study Abroad, 9, 149-173.
- Lewin, R. (Ed.). The handbook of practice and
research in study abroad. Modern Language Journal,
95, (2011): 332-333.
- Byram, M., & Feng, A. (Eds.). Living and
studying abroad: Research and practice. Modern
Language Journal, 92, (2008): 474-475.
- Pellegrino, V. A. Study abroad and second
language use. Modern Language Journal 91, (2007):
- Dowell, M. M., & Mirsky, K. P. Study abroad?
How to get the most out of your experience. Modern
Language Journal, 89(1), (2005): 139-140.
- Lambert, R. D., & Shohamy, E. (Eds.)
Language policy and pedagogy. Language Problems and
Language Planning, 26(1), (2002): 104-107.
- Lantolf, J.P. (Ed.) Sociocultural theory and
second language learning. Language Problems and
Language Planning, 25(3), (2001): 311-333.
- Book-length manuscript: Researching Second
Language Acquisition and Communicative Use in the
Study Abroad Context with Cassie Isabelli
- Empirical research article Immersion Programs
and Second Language Acquisition with Manel
- Critical review of research regarding study abroad
and second language acquisition. Language
Teaching journal with Dan Dewey and Jennifer
- April 2014. "Language learning in the study abroad
context: Variables that affect development." Language
in Context Research Group, University of
Illinois at Chicago.
- October 2013. "Study abroad: Measuring the
correlation between second language acquisition and
social networks." 32nd Second Language Research
Forum. Brigham Young University.
- June 2013. "Factors that explain differential
learning in the study abroad context." IES Abroad
Madrid 2nd Language Symposium. Madrid, Spain.
- August 2011. "Observing census enumeration of
Spanish-speaking households in the 2010 Census."
Invited speaker, U.S. Census Bureau,
- July 2010. "El desarrollo lingüístico de los
estudiantes durante una estancia en el extranjero: Una
ruptura de las expectativas tradicionales."
[Linguistic development in the study-abroad context: A
break from traditional expectations]. Invited speaker,
Middlebury College Round Table. Middlebury,
- September 2009. "Linguistic development in the
study-abroad context: What can we expect?" invited
speaker, IIX Congreso Internacional UNINTERlingua
Communicación. Universidad Internacional,
- November, 2008. "Language learning abroad:
Acculturation, integration or both?" Midwest
Modern Language Association. Minneapolis, MN.
- November, 2007."Acquisition of gender agreement in
two learning contexts." Hispanic Linguistics
Symposium. San Antonio, Texas.
- November, 2006. "Social networks and some
recommendations for study abroad success." Council
on International Educational Exchange
Conference. Seville, Spain.
- October, 2003."The benefits of asynchronous computer
mediated communication in enhancing cultural
acquisition." Co-authored with Elizabeth Zeiss. Second
Language Research Forum. University of Arizona,
- October 2002. "Linguistic development of Spanish
language accuracy in the study abroad context: What
can be expected." Co-authored with Chiyo
Nishida. 6th Conference on Hispanic
Linguistics and L1 and L2 Acquisition of Spanish and
Portuguese, University of Iowa, Iowa City.
Illinois Wesleyan University service
- Promotion and Tenure Committee (elected: 2014-2015
Vice Chair; 2005-2007)
- Assessment Facilitator for General Education
category "Second Language" (2014-2015)
- Academic Appeals Committee (elected: 2013-2014)
- IWU Fulbright
Faculty Program Adviser (2011-2013)
- Curriculum Council (elected: 2009-2011), Academic
Standards Subcommittee (Chair, 09-10)
- Teacher Education Committee (2005-present)
- Hearing Committee (elected: 2003-2005)
- Institutional Review
Board (2002-2005, S2009)
- Faculty Adviser of Sigma Delta Pi - National
Hispanic Honors Society, Upsilon
Rho (2000- present)
- Latin American Studies Team (Leader: 2005-07,
- First Year Adviser (2000-2013)
- Coordinator International Film
Selected IWU Grants
- 2014 - Humanities Fellow, Re-centering the
Humanities Mellon Foundation Grant
- 2012 - Mellon Foundation Grant for integration of
information literacy in the disciplines, with L. Duke
- 2012 – Mellon Foundation Grant for integration of
writing in the disciplines, with C. Ferradáns
- 2008 - "Perception of Physical Activity and Health
by Border-Dwelling Mexican Women" with D. Hartweg
(Artistic and Scholarly Development Grant)
- 2007 - "Spanish Gender Agreement in the
Study-Abroad and At-Home Contexts" (ASD)
- 2006 - "Study-Abroad Social Networks and
Second Language Acquisition"(ASD)
- 2005 - "Perception of Physical Activity by
Hispanic Women" with Donna Hartweg (ASD)
- 2003 - "Perception of Health by Hispanic
Women: A Pilot Study" with Donna Hartweg (ASD)