PO Box 2900
Bloomington, IL 61702
1) focus on SLA development in oral production (may be listed as fluency or proficiency).
2) instead of trying to search for articles with your research question, try thinking what theoretical framework you will support with this research. Zone of Proximal Development? Negotiation of Meaning? Attention? Etc. and then start your search with those and work from there.
3) indexes to search from through Ames:
Under "Resources" click "Find articles" click "A-Z of databates"
Article1st, E.R.I.C - Educational Resources,4) look at the references from the articles we've read in class. If you see a title that somewhat is connected, find that AND find out what the author has been up to.
MLA International Bibliography
Wilson Select Plus.
5) check out the books on traditional reserve for this course (you can't check them out but you can request thru interlibrary loan if you want a personal copy)
Structure of research paper - pointers
a. abstract (APA Manual or blue handout)
b. background to the research problem*
c. review of literature
1. discuss background literature. A good way to start with this is creating a summary for each article you read making special notes of the elements you will do different or disagree with.d. research questions and hypotheses
2. cite relevant earlier works.
II. Methods and procedures
a. subjects and materials*
c. research design and data analysis
•are you going to transcribe data? Look at these transcription conventions.
III. Results - see APA style manual for suggestions on your specific study type.
IV. Discussion and conclusions
a. Was your original hypothesis supported or not supported?V. References
b. What similarities and differences exist between your results and the work of others?
c. How can the findings be linked to phenomena at more complex and less complex levels of analysis?
d. What conclusions and implications can be drawn if the results confirm the hypothesis? (Theoretical and/or practical are possibilities.)
e. You should provide clear, unambiguous, and direct answers to the previous questions.
* these are pdf files of copied pages from the APA Publication Manual, 5th edition (just in case you haven't consulted it yet in writing your paper). I would check out the reference book if you need more help. Ib. was copied from Porte, G. K. (2002). Appraising Research in Second Language Learning. Philadelphia: John Benjamins.
Tools for data collection